Friday, June 11, 2010

Me, The Moderate

I shy away from labeling myself, becauuse generally don't don't believe enough of any principle to call myself as adherant. Politically, religiously and in most of my beliefs about parenting, marriage and social issues I fall somewhere in the middle of the road. So I guess I could call myself a moderate... Sort of.
For the most part being a moderate has made me socially acceptable in many arenas. I am not dogmatically for or against most positions and because of this I can generally find some common ground with anybody.
But internally? That's a different thing all together. My beliefs often times place me in the middle of two opposing views and rather than helping me blend in, I appear wishy washy or even- G-d forbid- like a poser. Seriously, a non-Republican Messianic? A "sort-of AP" mom? It's tough sometimes.
And what makes it worse is the amount of demonizing and hyperbole and assumptions that fly around so casually. Everyone has an image in their mind of the type of person who believes differently than they do. Maybe they're ignorant or stupid. Maybe they were raised wrong. Maybe they just need someone to point out the error of their ways. And everyone talks as if everyone in the room agrees with them. Like there is an unspoken rule that if you agree with me here, you must agree with me everywhere.
I've been run out of forums for preaching the moderate gospel. For trying to humanize the "other side." And I've sat in silence as my own beliefs were flamed and scorned by a roomful of "likeminded" people.
Here's a real doosey: Attachment Parenting + Mini-Circumcision + Judaism +Jesus = a complete clash of passions. In AP circles it's accepted practice to refer to circ as "barbaric," "inhumane" and as mutilation. No on thinks twice aboutproudly condemning the lot of ignorant parents who do it, regardless of their reasons or strategies. Likewise, within Judaism and Messianic Judaism (for the most part) there is little understanding or acceptance of mini or partial circumcision. It's seen as an all or nothing deal and people wonder why anyone would question the tradition. Not to mention adding Messianic to Judaism- that's a taboo all on it's own.
Even in the simpler things- I recently commented on a comic and attached blog metaphorically eye rolling formula samples saying, "Formula samples never helped anyone." The whole basis of the blog entry was to ridicule and shame those of us lazy and ignorant enough to feed our babies "poisonous" formula instead of breastfeeding. The assumption being that it's all simply a matter of priorities and not an issue of ability. And how many times has a friendly religious conversation suddenly hopped into politics with some happily verbal person casually and passionately prophesying the end of the world with the current president in the role of Anti-Christ. Really? Did I SAY I was a Republican? Did I not read the fine print when I became Messianic? Being that person in the middle of the road sometimes just get's you run over.
So what do we do? I guess nothing. Dodge traffic? Keep my mouth shut? Seethe in silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment